Tuesday, 19 July 2011

The prelude

After experiencing the intense equatorial heat and humidity of Singapore for three days, I arrived in a dull and miserable Canberra, the capital territory of Australia. It may have the status of a big city, implying fast-pace exhilaration and extravagance, but it’s far from it. Seeing Sydney the day before expressed true class and modernity, not its capital counterpart.

Yes, I was anxious on my first encounter with the city and it made me anticipate my accommodation even more. As I traveled through the campus of ANU, the magnitude of the area quickly became apparent. The buildings were post-war made and gave off an air of a 'global establishment'; almost intimidating.

As I entered Bruce Hall, I was struck by wave-upon-wave of warmth; lacking in the weather, due to the winter season, it was balanced out by the closeness and friendliness of everyone in the hall. As I continued speaking to more of my hall-mates, the anxiety of what might or might not be, eased off my mind. What I felt was a unique contact with people, something totally opposite to what I would find in England and especially London. I defer my naiveté of facades and the many masks of men for a time when I am more familiar with friends. For now I say, “for God sake Europe, make an effort!"

However, facing problems with internet, I was agitated and became conscious of being out of my comfort zone, as I could not communicate with anyone. Something we all feel from time to time, but a feeling that we seldom confess. Our dependence on the www is truly analogous to a drug; unless we take or replace it with a suitable substitute, we are doomed to chaos. Fortunately, after hanging out more with my new friends and finding a solution to my problems, I could enjoy again the new places and people. The only thing left is getting used to being right next to the entrance to my block; shouldn’t take long!

No comments:

Post a Comment